Skip to main content

Bye Bye Virginity by Krissy Snifeld



This modern day read could leave you feeling confused, conflicted or rather bemusedly unimpressed but in my case slightly envious that I didn't write it myself.

Don't be fooled by the title, Bye Bye Virginity is not the teen answer to Fifty Shades Of Grey and thank God for that; I think the world of fiction has become inundated with authors trying to match the not so critical acclaim Fifty Shades received.

Yet again t'was the wonderful world of Wattpad that led me to this story so now I want to share my two cents of it with you.

The novel does appear to be a bit of a cliche in the sense that a "shy, quiet teenage girl" [talk about a YA archetypal character] who just happens to be loner falls in love with her brother's best friend who also just happens to be the "hottest" guy in school. [Obviously not predictable at all]

As light and fluffy as the novel appears it does cover very important issues that concern many teenagers and young adults which is sex and virginity; two things that many girls and boys view as a monumental moment in life. Something that Krissy Snifeld does well is she conveys the importance of what Stasee goes, Snifeld could have easily swept the Statsee's emotions and feelings away and focused on the romance. Instead Snifeld chose to emphasise the confusion Stasee felt.

The novel touches a lot of mature issues: love, sex, heartbreak, coming out, alcohol misuse and gun crime. Just a typica/ not-so-typical American Teenage life [that I can't be too sure of but I’m happy to assume].

Something that sets Bye Bye Virginity aside from any other YA novels, it is written in such a mature way, yet it still reader friendly. The way that Snifeld can write about very "straight" guys coming out in a conservative environment, was commendable.

The novel may have one main plot but it also branches off into many other sub plots which adds to the complexity of what could have been a very straight forward novel.

As much as I somewhat enjoyed the story, with an oh so promising summary I feel like the pace of the story was far too rushed, I would have preferred if the pace had slowed down to fully explore all possible avenues. Personally for me the plot transition is way to fast and character development could be better executed.

I wasn't too keen on the spelling of "Stasee" but that could just be down to personal preference. The spelling of “Stasee” really irked me, I could have dealt with a Staci but the double e was just so abstract for me to get my head around. Although this book is not a work of non fiction I feel it lacks realism with the way Stasee's change the time frame was just oh so random. Just no.

Although I had a maybe more than a few nuances with the way Bye Bye Virginity was written who am I criticise a book that is loved by so many.

So ...

I say you read it and make your own judgement.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fault In Our Stars

I wouldn't call this post a review because I haven't really reviewed anything, nor have I summarised or really critiqued in great detail  but  "that's the thing about pain ... it demands to be felt"  and sometimes you can't express the pain you feel when you read a book that breaks your heart up to the very last word. This is  "not a cancer book" . Sure, a lot of the characters in the book have cancer but it's a classic love story: boy meets girl - boy once had cancer lost a leg (maybe not so classic), girl still has cancer and carries her own tank of oxygen that keeps her alive - girl and boy do a book swap - boy hunts down author of book - boy and girl travel to Amsterdam in search of the infuriating author - boy and girl fall in love, make love, boy admits he's dying - boy dies - boy leaves girl a beautiful love letter. *floods of tears ensue* I think when you read a book that generates so much buzz about it, it's safe to say yo

Enjoying the Chase

*** Warning the following post contains the views held by a hopelessly hopeful romantic, if you are so cynical that you do not wish to entertain the idea of a happily ever after for a couple of moments, I suggest you read no further*** It goes without saying I think Kirsty Moseley is the  bomb diggity when it comes to writing books that leave you feeling all warm, fuzzy and generally happy, and why shouldn't you, you don't have to read the serious doom and gloom books and it's safe to say I am most definitely recommending Enjoying the Chase as the book to offer you much needed light relief. After reading Nothing Left to Lose you will love Moseley and all the characters you grow to care about and Enjoying the Chase is no exception. Undoubtedly it is a book in its own right but reading Nothing Left to Lose helps you establish a relationship with Nate, Ashton and Anna. Moseley is one of the few writers that I'm willing to stay up until sunrise just to finish

Before I Fall ... and realise how complex and connected everything is.

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver ... into the submission of melancholic turmoil, or was it a never ending reflective narrative that left me refreshed? It's safe to say that when I began reading this book I was not head over heels with excitement or expecting to take any meaningful sentiments away from it. In fact I hated it when I first started reading it I despised the narrator so much I put it down for 3 months before deciding to try and tackle it again. It took me two very trying attempts to finish reading this book. Perhaps it was the monotonous fact that you know this whole book is going to be about Samantha's last day, from the get go I had taken an  instant disliking to Sam. But eventually I did it, and I was so glad I did when I read the last page. I loved this book, hated this book, refused to read it at one time: it's annoying; cruel; honest; heart breaking; real. High School is supposed to be the best years of your life but teenage girls can b